CAROLINA SHORES PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Monday, September 21, 2009
Minutes of the Meeting


Call to Order: President Joyce Dunn called the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Carolina Shores Property Owners Association to order at 7:00 P.M.

Board Members Present: Joyce Dunn, Al Franklin, Dave Jones, and Kerry Jarrell, Pete Gulliver, and Linda Pennington. Absent: Jan Knorr.

Approval of August Minutes. The minutes of the board meeting of August 19th and for the executive session on August 19th were presented. Joyce asked that the record show that Matthew Townes was not fined because he was remedying the problem. Joyce moved that the minutes be approved as presented. Al seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.


COMMITTEE REPORTS

Recreation: Linda reported that the committee would like to meet with the board to discuss their recommendations. The board discussed issues related to the pool and next year's picnics.

Communications: Joyce advised that the bulletin will go electronic at the end of January. The directory will continue to be printed at no cost.

ACC: Al read a letter from Bob and Diane Berry concerning trees on the adjoining lot. Pete advised that a procedure is already in place suggesting that the first communication be between owners. Al suggested sending a letter advising them to first contact the owner and request the tree service. If that is unsuccessful, then the POA will intercede.

Al advised that the board has not adequately addressed the issue of motor homes, camping trailers, and boats being parked on or near property. Al recommended a clarification to the existing policy. The following clarification to the DOR section 6, paragraph 9, was suggested:

"Property owners who have visitors with a motor home, camping trailer, or boat may have them parked on the property for no more than 7 days at one time. This will be allowed once every six months. Property owner must call the POA office for the approval."

Joyce moved that the clarification be approved. Linda seconded the motion. The motion passed.

Al presented a proposed agreement with the Town concerning the sign located on the CSPOA property. The discussion revealed that the agreement was insufficient to cover all issues associated with the sign. Al and Pete agreed to rewrite the agreement for board review at the next meeting.

Facilities Maintenance: Pete requested permission to spend unbudgeted moneys to have a consultant inspect the floor and insulation under the clubhouse. Joyce moved for approval. Dave Jones seconded the motion. The motion passed.

Pete reported that the library floor has been replaced after the subfloor was replaced. The lights in the clubhouse have been replaced with compact fluorescents, which should save over $100 per month in electricity. Pete recommended that the board note its appreciation to Mike Mundy and Brent Horton for their work in replacing the bulbs. Joyce agreed to put an article in the November bulletin commending them.

The HVAC replacement will occur the week of October 12-16.

Linda reported that ADT will reposition cameras this week to cover the gate, the parking lot, and the pool. ADT recommended an uninterrupted power supply for the pool security system so that the system, including the gate, could be operated in case of a power outage. Linda will purchase a UPS for the system.

The board decided to close the pool by October 15th unless the weather turns cold sooner.

DOR Review: Pete reported that the DOR Review Committee met and made assignments. The committee will meet again in October.

Audit and Finance: Kerry handed out budget updates through the end of August. The 2009 budget remains on track through August. The board discussed the reserve study and the potential for doing projects and for funding for 2009 and 2010.

Old Business: No additional information was available on the issue of the ditches and swales.

The board went into executive session at 8:40pm.

The board reconvened at 9:03pm.

New Business: Nominations for the board will close on October 23rd.

Joyce advised that Cox and Watts will start sending out collection letters. Joyce passed out the list of outstanding dues and assessments.

The next meeting is scheduled for October 19th. The November meeting will be on November 16th.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:17 pm.