CAROLINA SHORES PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Monday, June 14, 2010
Minutes of the Meeting


Call to Order: President Pete Gulliver called the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Carolina Shores Property Owners Association to order at 6:02 P.M.

Board Members Present: Pete Gulliver, Al Franklin, Kerry Jarrell, Bob Jones, Jan Knorr, John Manning, and Mike Riccitelli.

Approval of May Minutes: Kerry presented the minutes for the board meetings of May 17th. John moved that the minutes be approved as amended. Mike seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

The board heard public comments concerning the manner of distribution of the bulletin and comments on the picnic of June 12. The board agreed to consider changes recommended.

The board went into executive session at 6:31pm
The board came back into session at 7:11pm.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

The board heard a request for a variance by Mr. Paul Miraglia and Ms. Penny Sue Spohn for erecting a shed behind the house located on 16 Sunfield Drive. Bob Jones agreed to meet the property owners at their lot and review their options with them. Bob will report his findings with the board.

Pete tabled the hearing scheduled for the Lakeview Drive resident until the July meeting.

Nominating: No report.

Recreation: Mike reported on the picnic. Some food and drinks were left over. The board decided to donate the perishable food to charity to feed the hungry. The frozen meats will be held in the freezer for the needy of Carolina Shores. Mike suggested sending a letter of appreciation to those that helped with the picnic. Pete will include that appreciation in the president's column in the next bulletin.

Mike suggested amending the pool schedule to allow for cleaning the pool. The board determined that the schedule for Tuesdays and Thursdays be blocked out from 8am until 9am for pool maintenance. Mike will post that change at the pool and Pete will announce that change in the July president's column in the bulletin.

Building Maintenance: Bob reported some minor repairs to the clubhouse and cleaning of the gutters. He also reported that the practice of leaving the door open is causing problems in keeping the clubhouse cool. Some problems also exist in adjusting the temperature in the building. He will work with the contractor to determine how to adjust the temperature when groups are using the building.

Grounds: John reported that the tennis court resurfacing will begin on the 21st of June. The irrigation leak around the clubhouse has been repaired. A valve and timer in that irrigation system have been replaced. Painting of the sign in front of the clubhouse has started and should be completed within a week.

The grounds around the picnic area were cleared and cleaned during the week before the picnic. John also reported that the shed in the picnic area needs a vent fan to prevent overheating in the area where the propone is stored. John suggested that Strand Exterminators be used for all pest control instead of using two separate vendors.

ACC: There are two hearings scheduled for next month.

Communications: Jan reported that 55 residents have requested a paper copy of the bulletin. Arrangements have been made to accommodate those residents. So far, 15 residents have requested home delivery. Otherwise, the electronic delivery for June was fairly smooth. The communications committee will continue to monitor distribution. Jan reported that a request was made to allow items for sale in the bulletin. The board decided that this request should be tabled until a later date.

General Advisory Committee: No report.

Legal Affairs: No report.

Town of Carolina Shores: The Town's POA Advisory Committee and the Town's Communications Committee each met for the first time for organizational meetings. Members of CSPOA are on each committee. The Town finance officer has determined that the Town has been paying the electric bill on certain lights that illuminate signs which are owned by CSPOA. That will most likely be changed in the near future.

Finance: Kerry went over the budget update through May. Expenses are in line with the budget for this time of the year. Member assessments are at 98 percent of the budget for revenue for the year.

As of June 10, receivables outstanding were $9,349. Receivables included member dues assessments, ACC fines, and late fees. Kerry reviewed authorized board options under the Declarations of Restrictions for collecting unpaid dues or fees. Authorized actions include filing liens, filing suit, and bringing action for foreclosure. Each of these actions result in negative reports to credit reporting agencies.

Kerry reported that liens have been filed on the following owners and properties:

Donna Coley 59 Pinewood Drive
George G. and Majorie Dale 46 Calabash Drive
Jacqueline Carbone Dorsey 6 Yellow Jacket Court
Larry Gonzolez and Antonio Vazquez 17 Northwest Drive
Valerie and Harold H. Harris, Jr .1 Court 8 Northwest Drive
Reid and Michelle Hunnicutt 40 Calabash Drive
John O. and Vicky T. Jenkins 3 Plainview Court
Dara D. Laraway 92 Persimmon Road
Kenneth and Kelly Massey 6 Buoy Court
Laura and Kinchin Nance, Jr. 14 Topsail Court
Thomas and Debra O'Brien 11 Court 9 Northwest Drive
Richard E. Peak Jr 38 Sunfield Drive
Richard J. Pratt 14 Northwest Drive
Lyn Edwards Price 37 Pinewood Drive
Robert A and Ilene S Richards 72 Pinewood Drive
John C. and Ronnie Rider 89 Persimmon Road
Marsha Olson Thomas 7 Gate 11
Rose Lee Tuttle 7 Thicketwood Drive
J. Michael and Debora Wilkes 37 Sunfield Drive
Timothy and Catherine Williams 13 Court 9 Northwest Drive

Kerry proposed that those property owners be suspended from membership in Carolina Shores Property Owners' Association Incorporated until such time that the unpaid balances are paid in full. John seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

Mike asked what further action could be taken to collect unpaid balances. Kerry advised that members could be sued in small claims court. Judgments in small claims court are turned over to the sheriff for collection. Pete advised that the CSPOA would, most likely, file some small claims if the liens were ineffective for collecting unpaid dues or fines. All board members concurred that small claims court would be an acceptable next step after liens.

New business:

Mike proposed a system for checking out tables to residents. Bob volunteered to create a form to monitor the tables and to check the tables in and out.

Mike also proposed that the board authorize renting the grill to residents. Kerry proposed charging $25 for propane use and $150 for a deposit. Pete seconded the motion. The motion passed.

Pete raised the question of penalties for residents who abet suspended members using facilities while suspended. Kerry recommended that the board send a letter to such members when such actions occur. The letter would advise the resident that future aiding or abetting of a suspended member would result in suspension of privileges for both members.

Pete reported that the issue of people smoking cigars and pipes in the pool area was raised by a resident. No action was taken.

The next meeting is scheduled for July 12th at 6:00pm.

The next quarterly community meeting is scheduled for August 2nd at 7:00pm.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:39 pm.