CAROLINA SHORES PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Monday, December 13, 2010
Minutes of the Monthly Meeting

Call to Order: President Pete Gulliver called the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Carolina Shores Property Owners Association to order at 6:00 P.M.

Board Members Present: Pete Gulliver, Kerry Jarrell, Bob Jones, Jan Knorr, John Manning, and Mike Riccitelli. (Absent: Al Franklin) Also present: Gordon Malmfeldt.

Approval of Minutes: Since everyone did not have sufficient time to review the minutes from the November meeting, Pete asked that the Board review the minutes within 48 hours and inform Kerry of any changes. The minutes will be approved at the January 2011 meeting.

The Board went into executive session at 6:03 P.M. The Board reconvened at 6:19 P.M.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Nominating: John reported that the Nominating Committee would meet on December 27th at 6:30 P.M. to stuff the ballots for the upcoming election. The ballots will be mailed January 3rd and counted at the annual meeting on February 5th. Meet the Candidates night is scheduled for January 3rd at 7 P.M.

Recreation: Mike asked that the Board send letters thanking the VFW and the caterer for their efforts in making the holiday party a success. Mike made a few suggestions regarding next year’s party due to some complaints received. Mike requested the Recreation Committee be recognized for all their work in the bulletin.

Mike reported that electricity use at the pool is down from last year. The savings appears to be about $2,000 thus far.

Pete has arranged a meeting with Andy Russ concerning redesigning the pool area. The meeting will be on Wednesday, January 5, 2011. Pete will advise the Board members of the meeting time as soon as it’s established.

Grounds: The Sign Company is evaluating the cost of replacing the sign on Country Club Drive that was hit by a vehicle. John should have an estimate from them within a week. Brunswick Electric is working up an estimate for the cost of lights around the tennis courts and driveway.

Building Maintenance:
Bob reviewed proposed changes to the office area of the clubhouse. The estimated cost of the renovation will be in the $8,000-$10,000 range. After considerable discussion, Jan suggested that Board members make a list of any changes for submittal to the architect. Bob requested that Board members submit their changes to him by email by Friday, December 17. Kerry said that if the Board accepts the architect’s conceptual design, the project would be presented at the reserve workshop in January. If the workshop committee recommends the project for 2011, final changes could be made before the project is sent out for bid. Bob suggested we obtain the construction drawings, pay for them out of the current year budget, and have a finished product ready for the reserve workshop. Kerry moved to accept Bob’s recommendation and move forward with the construction drawings for the quoted fee of $1550. John seconded the motion. Motion accepted.

Architectural Control:
Nothing to report.

Communications: Jan advised that the number of residents requesting printed bulletins continues to decline. The Communications Committee follows up on all complaints about the bulletin.

General Advisory: Nothing to report.

Legal Affairs: Pete reported that the owner of 9 Oakbark Court was fined $100 for removing trees without permission. The owner has filed a claim against us in Small Claims Court. Our attorney has advised that we contest the claim. Originally, the hearing was scheduled for December, but a continuance was granted until January.

Town Meeting: Pete advised that Linda Herncane, Town Administrator, would be retiring in February. The Town is seeking applicants for that position as well as applicants for the planning and zoning Board.

Audit and Finance: Kerry advised that we are currently well under budget for this time of the year. Some end-of-year expenses still remain, but funds should be available for any end-of-the-year projects that the Board might approve at this time. Gordon Malmfeldt commended Kerry and the Board for their excellent work in staying within budget.

New Business: Bob reviewed for the Board the plans for remodeling the storage are near the library. Bob will attempt to get this project completed before the end of December. Bob moved to approve the storage area renovation. Mike seconded. Bob amended the motion to limit the project to $2000. Mike seconded. The amendment carried and the motion was approved as amended.

Pete requested that Board members submit names of committee members and others who have served the POA this year. Pete will send an email to the editor for the January bulletin in order to recognize those members for their efforts.

John requested the Board send an e-mail wishing all residents Happy Holidays.

John made a motion to adjourn. Mike seconded. The meeting was adjourned at 8:22 P.M.