CAROLINA SHORES PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
April 11, 2012
Minutes of the Meeting

Call to Order: President Pete Gulliver called the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Carolina Shores Property Owners Association to order at 9:30 a.m.

All in attendance recited Pledge of Allegiance.

Board Members Present: Pete Gulliver, Bob Jones, Kerry Jarrell, Al Franklin, Brent Horten, Linda Pennington, and Mike Riccitelli.

Approval of Minutes: Pete asked for a motion to approve the minutes of the March14, 2012 meeting. Bob moved to approve the minutes and Brent seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

Resident comments agenda items only:

Sean Morrow, a police detective with Ocean Isle Beach and a resident of 47 Carolina Shores Drive, asked to address the Board. Sean has been monitoring the activity in the recreation area and parking lot. He advised that the only way to control potential illegal activity in that area is for observers to call 911 and report it. Sean advised that callers do not need to provide police with their names but should be prepared to provide information about vehicles seen and activities observed.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Financial Report:

Kerry submitted a list of suspended members:

Suspended Members:
Charles Clark- 11 Golfview Ct.
Gere & Marge Dale- 46 Calabash Dr.
Larry & Kandy Goodman- 2 Egret Ct.
Ernest D. & Joy Hancock- 4 Cleek Ct.
Reid & Michelle Hunnicutt- 40 Calabash Dr.
Thomas & Terrie Kirby- 5 Gate 11
Deborah Langdon- 89 Carolina Shores Dr.
Kenneth & Kelly Massey- 6 Buoy Ct.
Richard Peak Jr.- 38 Sunfield Dr.
Todd Yando- 29 Gate 6
Joseph & Louise Zaorski- 29 Gate 11

Kerry passed out the detailed transaction report and the budget update through the end of March. Through the end of March approximately 94% of projected revenue had been collected, and total receipts for that period amount to $254,525. Total disbursements through the end of March were $31,811 or about 15% of the annual budget. Kerry noted that the CPA firm had postponed the annual review until April 19, 2012.

He also mentioned that as of Tuesday April 10, outstanding member accounts amounted to $19,900, which is ahead of collections in 2011.

Sixty-four certified letters were sent to members still owing dues as of April 1, 2012. Letters gave recipients thirty days to pay these dues. The next step would be to file liens on those members' properties. Kerry said that the Board would need to consider additional measures for individuals owing more than three years dues since the liens don't seem to be incentive enough to get them to pay.

Architectural Control:

Bob read the names of the ACC Committee members, which were previously approved by email: Larry Darby, Ron Pecina, Rich Gagliano, Owen Gidlow, Eva Jensen and John Manning.

Bob advised that we are in violation of Declaration of Restrictions because of the gap in the fence on Lakeview and Highway 179. Al will handle the situation to correct the deficiency.

ACC minutes are being distributed to the members of the committee and the Board members.
Bob moved to have the ACC minutes added to the website upon their approval. Linda seconded the motion. Motion carried 6 to 1.

Mike suggested that the ACC committee members wear shirts with ACC on them. Bob will speak to members of the committee and advise the Board at the May meeting.

Clubhouse:

Linda reported that new locks had been installed on front and back doors in case of a power outage so we would be able to lock up the clubhouse. In case of a prolonged power outage, once battery backup runs out the security doors fail in the open position.

Linda met with the House Committee to discuss some ideas on improving and updating the clubhouse. She said until the Board determines what structural repairs were needed that they would need to do small fix ups. The committee recommended new wooden blinds for the windows. They also suggested repainting the main room. They are also considering replacing the plants on the front porch. Linda is going to speak with Mike Poffenberger about building a cabinet in the kitchen to hold the extra cleaning supplies that are currently in the storage room.

Linda suggested getting rid of the piano. Pete suggested offering it to community members at no charge.

Brent advised that new screens had been installed on air intakes on the outside of the clubhouse. Small holes were caulked to prevent small animals from getting into the crawl space and the door to the crawl space was repaired.

Brent will follow up with the structural engineer and will advise the Board on that report at the May meeting. He also reported that Rob McClure, the contractor, had repaired the handicap rail and a small issue with the ramp.

Grounds:

Al reported that he spoke with Keith about removing the tree stump and he will handle that when we get approval to take down the tree by the pool parking lot where we want to install security light. Al will secure the necessary permit to have the tree removed.

Al has received a bid from 2 B Distinctive Landscaping for maintenance of flowerbeds and is waiting for one additional quote that should be in by the end of this week. Pete asked Kerry about the agreement that was approved for the bid process. Kerry stated that contracts between $1500 and $5000 were to have two written bids. Al and Mike are to decide on a contractor and will notify the Board of their decision via email. This contract will only be until the end of this year when the flowers beds will be included in the overall landscaping contract.

Ellen Pecina asked Al about the irrigation at the pool area and he said that Keith was taking care of the problem with the heads. Ellen requested that she and Kay Forbes be included in the contract negotiations. Al advised that future plantings of trees and shrubs should be approved by the POA since their upkeep causes additional charges to our maintenance agreement.

Pete passed out an email from Margie Pettersen requesting that the Garden Club be allowed to plant a tree by the pool area and put up a plaque in the memory of Mike Tolochko. Friends and neighbors of Shirley Tolochko took up a collection to have this done.
Al moved that the planting of the tree and plaque be approved as long as the location is agreed upon in advance. Bob seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

Recreation Facilities:

Brent stated that the tennis courts had been repainted and repaired. This was part of the original warranty work. He also reported that a new sign has been installed at the entrance to the recreation area.

Recreation Social:

The Volunteer Party is scheduled for April 15 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Patio's in Little River, SC. The Party is for anyone who volunteered in 2011. .

Communications:

Nothing to report.

General Advisory Committee:

Dan Mann reported that the Advisory Committee reviewed the resolutions, which had been printed in the current version of the DOR. The Committee did not believe that these were legal and binding. The Committee suggested that a separate listing of rules and regulations be created as an attachment to the DOR.

Nominating:

Pete reported that Nancy Harthausen was working on amending the election procedures and would submit the proposed changes to the Nominating Committee.

Legal Affairs:

Nothing to report.

Town of Carolina Shores:

Pete reported that the Town did preliminary work on the capital budget at their recent workshop. The Town decided to spread the capital expenditures over five years instead of four to preserve the capital reserve fund.

Maintenance:

Nothing to report.

Old Business:

Mike brought up that our current ADT system can hold two additional cameras that might help secure the parking area, tennis courts and basketball court. Al moved that the POA purchase a separate camera system to cover those areas rather than using ADT. Mike seconded motioned the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

New Business:

Pete advised that the By Laws would be published on the website.

Resident Comments:

There were no resident comments.

Announcements:

Pete announced that the community quarterly meeting would be held on Monday May 9, 2012 at 7 p.m.

Adjournment:
Meeting was adjourned at 12:11 p.m.