CAROLINA SHORES PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
July 11, 2012
Minutes of the Meeting


Call to Order: President Pete Gulliver called the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Carolina Shores Property Owners Association to order at 9:30 a.m.

All in attendance recited Pledge of Allegiance.

Board Members Present: Pete Gulliver, Bob Jones, Kerry Jarrell, Al Franklin, Brent Horten, Mike Riccitelli and Linda Pennington.

Approval of Minutes: Pete asked for a motion to approve the minutes of the June 13, 2012 meeting. Mike moved to approve the minutes and Brent seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

Resident comments agenda items only: None

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Financial Report: Kerry submitted a list of suspended members.

Suspended Members:

Robert Byrnes and Lynn Falls- 10 Gate 2
Gere & Marge Dale- 46 Calabash Dr.
FB Development Co.- 64 Carolina Shores Pkwy.
Ernest D. & Joy Hancock- 4 Cleek Ct.
Mark & Nora Jannelli- 1 Court 12
Thomas & Terrie Kirby- 5 Gate 11
Priscilla Knight- 7 Swamp Fox Dr.
Deborah Langdon- 89 Carolina Shores Dr.
Nona LaPointe-Regan-5 Arden Place
Pat Lovallo & John Sorbella-20&22 Gate 5
Kenneth & Kelly Massey- 6 Buoy Ct.
Richard Peak Jr. - 38 Sunfield Dr.
Richard Pratt-14 Northwest Dr.
Martin Quinlan-6 Lakeview Ct.
Brian & Lisa Roberts-14 Swamp Fox Dr.
Margaret Rossi-24 Carolina Shores Parkway
Saleeby Law Firm- 14 Gumwood Dr.
F. Wade & Lahana Sutton- 14 Cleek Ct.
Timothy & Catherine Williams- 13 Ct. 9 NW Dr.
Todd Yando- 29 Gate 6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kerry stated that we have dropped Julian Adams and Margaret Toman from the list because their properties went into foreclosure. Kerry moved that we reinstate Robert Byrnes and Lynn Falls 10 Gate 2. Pete seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

Kerry handed out the transaction detail by account through June 30, 2012, and the budget update through the end of June. He pointed out that collected revenue is at approximately 99% of the budgeted amount. We have collected $267,520 and the budget is $271,120. Based on collections to date we should have no difficulty meeting the budget. Mike questioned why the miscellaneous income account was so far over budget. Kerry explained that we closed the builders escrow account and retained the balance as miscellaneous income.

Kerry noted that expenses seem to be in line with the budget. He also commended Merrilee Burns for her collection efforts. Outstanding receivables as of June 30 amounted to $9,764. Most of that is from prior years.

Architectural Control: Bob introduced Joe Martere to the Board as the new employee/chairperson for the ACC. He explained Joe's qualifications and noted that he would be up to speed in no time. The Board welcomed Joe to the CSPOA staff.

Joe and Bob are working out a schedule for Joe. Initially, he will be in the office on Wednesday mornings and at least one afternoon each week. Once the schedule is finalized, it will be listed in the bulletin.

Bob mentioned that he has received comments about how the golf course is dropping limbs and branches on the roadways. Bob will call the Town on behalf of the CSPOA members.

Maintenance - Buildings: Linda advised that both ramps will be re-sealed. She is also planning on having the Board office room, the front door, and the benches painted.

Linda said that she was waiting for the floor leveling work to be completed before she proceeded with the selection of replacement flooring for the carpeted area of the clubhouse.

Maintenance - Grounds: Al reported on the lawn maintenance contract. Four bids have been received. He and Mike are evaluating those bids. They feel certain that they can negotiate a new contract without increasing the current budget. Al and Mike should have a contract ready for Board approval at the next meeting.

Al reported that Coffee Grounds Landscaping has seeded the disturbed area by pool parking lot.

Al advised that Brian Durost was asked to fix the handicap sign by the tennis courts. Mike recommended that we put concrete stops in front of signs to keep people from running into them. Al will look into having concrete stops installed.

Al brought up the sinkhole in the parking lot by the tennis courts. Brent advised that a hole should be dug to see what is causing problem. Brent will address this problem after the pool closes.

Recreation - Facilities: Brent purchased some mats for the bathrooms at the pool to keep people from slipping on wet floors.

Mike is investigating repairs to or replacement of the bocce courts.


Recreation - Social: Mike reported that the Recreation Committee has suggested holding the holiday party at the Sea Trail Convention Center on December 1st from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. The previous year's venue, Captain Johns Restaurant, had increased their price beyond the Committee's budget. Mike explained that the room is very large and can be divided in half or opened up depending on the attendance. The menu recommended includes 3 appetizers, 2 pastas with 2 different sauces, 6 toppings, and a turkey carving station. CSPOA will provide sheet cakes, dessert plates and plastic forks. The Sea Trail servers will cut and serve the cake. CSPOA will provide the sodas and other beverages. A cash bar will be set up. Mike moved that we go with Sea Trail and sign a contract to secure the date. Al seconded the motion. Kerry asked if the Recreation Committee was in favor of this and Mike assured the Board that they were. The motion passed.

Mike reported that the summer picnic was a success and approximately 200 residents attended. The inclement weather restricted some of the activities. However, overall, the picnic was a success. Mike suggested that thank you notes be sent to members of the Recreation Committee. The Board agreed.

Communications: Mike advised that the phone directories were being shipped this week.

General Advisory Committee: Nothing to report.

Nominating: Linda spoke with Mary Pritchard of the Nominating Committee. Mary is attempting to arrange a social event for all past Board members. This is part of the Committee's ongoing effort to get people interested in serving on the Board.

Audit and Finance: Nothing to report.

Legal Affairs: Nothing to report.

Town of Carolina Shores: Nothing to report.

Old Business:

Brent reported that Chris Frey is going to start the work on July 12th on leveling the clubhouse floor.

Pete mentioned that the security cameras had been installed in the clubhouse and that the clarity was very good. Mike felt that the camera on the front door did not take a clear enough image. That camera will be moved closer to the door to improve the images.

Brent reported that he is looking into adding three cameras in the pool and tennis court parking lot area.

Brent said that the new cameras inside the pool area have much clearer images than the previous cameras. The Board discussed adding additional security cameras at the pool. Further action on adding cameras was tabled.

New Business:

There was a discussion about the cost of irrigation in remote locations such as Sunfield and Persimmon. The Board determined that it would be too expensive.

Brent said that an irrigation meter at the pool might be a good investment since it would reduce the monthly water bill. Brent will proceed with having a meter installed.

Bob received a complaint about cars being parked in the common areas by Gates 2 and 3. He suggested posting signs. Kerry said that if the purpose was to eliminate overnight parking, we should address it in the bulletin. The ACC will consider the complaints and determine whether letters should be sent.

Resident Comments: None

Announcements:

The next Board meeting will be August 8 at 9:30 a.m.

The Board went into executive session at 12:04 p.m.

The Board reconvened at 1:06 p.m.

Bob moved to send a letter to Mr. and Mrs. Fox, 18 Pinewood Drive, notifying them that they had violated the DOR by allowing a structure (fence) to be erected without receiving written approval from the Association, and that the fence must be removed within fifteen days. Failure to remove the fence would result in a fine of $100 per day. Such fine would continue until the maximum fine allowable under the DOR had been reached.

Mike seconded the motion. The motion passed.

The meeting adjourned at 1:42 p.m.