CAROLINA SHORES PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
May 9, 2012
Minutes of the Meeting


Call to Order: President Pete Gulliver called the regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Carolina Shores Property Owners Association to order at 9:34 a.m.

All in attendance recited pledge of Allegiance.

Board Members Present: Pete Gulliver, Kerry Jarrell, Brent Horten, Al Franklin, Linda Pennington, and Mike Riccitelli. Absent: Bob Jones.

Approval of Minutes: Pete asked for a motion to approve the minutes of the April 11, 2012 meeting. Kerry moved to approve the minutes and Al seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

Resident comments agenda items only: None


COMMITTEE REPORTS

Financial Report:

Kerry submitted a list of suspended members:

Suspended Members:
Gere & Marge Dale- 46 Calabash Dr.
Larry & Kandy Goodman- 2 Egret Ct.
Ernest D. & Joy Hancock- 4 Clerk Ct.
Thomas & Terrie Kirby- 5 Gate 11
Deborah Langdon- 89 Carolina Shores Dr.
Kenneth & Kelly Massey- 6 Buoy Ct.
Richard Peak Jr.- 38 Sunfield Dr.
Todd Yando- 29 Gate 6
Joseph & Louise Zaorski- 29 Gate 11

Kerry made a motion to suspend Mark and Nora Jannelli - 1 Court 12 Northwest Drive for non-payment of dues, and to reinstate Charles Clark - 11 Golfview Ct. since he paid his outstanding balance.

Brent seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

Receivables as of May 7, 2012 are $13,528. About $6,800 represents current year dues.
Member assessment revenue as of April 30, 2012 is $265,820, which is 98% percent of the amount budgeted for member assessments. The expenditures are fairly ordinary for this time.

Kerry suggested keeping a close eye on the ADT account. The budget is $4500 and we've spent $2,679.16.

There was a discussion regarding getting a list of items from ADT to protect the equipment and getting insurance, which is part of the lease agreement. The equipment would be covered under the State Farm policy, but there is a $5000 a year deductible. The insurance from the leasing company is $15 a month for a total of $180 a year.

CSPOA has received a check from GEICO for the damaged sign at Gate 7.

Architectural Control:

Bob thanked Al for having the split rail fence that borders Beach Road fixed.

Maintenance - Buildings:

Linda mentioned that Mike and Gwen are going to clean up the end of the building where there is dirt from fixing the air conditioner.

Maintenance - Grounds:

Al reported that the contract for the flowerbeds was signed and a copy was sent to Keith (Coffee Grounds). Keith is going to remove the junipers and redo the bed at the corner of Persimmon and Carolina Shores as part of the flowerbed arrangement.

Al called Ellen Pecina for ideas about the fence that goes around the pool. There are some high bushes there and they are unsightly.

Al said that he'll have a letter completed by next week regarding the maintenance contract for the common areas and will get it out to landscaping contractors. He plans to have the bidding process completed by July 1.

Al is planning on buying paint to mark the lines on the POA clubhouse parking lot where the handicap spaces have been moved.

Recreation - Facilities:

Brent mentioned that the pool has not been inspected yet, but is due to be inspected within the next few days. It needs to be inspected before the pool opens on May 13th. There is a problem with one of the showers leaking and Brent has called a plumber to repair it. The pool, deck and pavers look good. Tables and chairs are set out. The bathrooms are being cleaned and need to be set up with paper towels, etc. There are signs that need to be put up and the corner of the kiddy pool needs to be tidied up.

Pete asked if he and Brent could have the authority to interview and to hire the pool attendants the same way they did last year. There will be three attendants. Mike made a motion to approve this. Kerry seconded the motion. It passed unanimously.

Brent said that the tennis court locks have been repaired.

Recreation - Social:

Mike reported on the July 1 picnic, which will be from 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m. The menu is hotdogs, rolls and ice cream. The committee is looking into the price of potato and macaroni salads as well as coleslaw. There will be a sharing table. The committee is asking that residents bring items other than desserts for sharing because sheet cakes will be provided. There will be a notice in the bulletin. Volunteers are still needed.

There were a few suggestions on how to keep the ice cream cold. The committee will consider alternatives to accomplish this. Mike will order a tent for the picnic.

Mike reported that the volunteer recognition party that was held on April 15 at The Patio in Little River was a success. All the volunteers and their guests enjoyed themselves. Pete announced that the time contributed by the volunteers would have cost the CSPOA an estimated $40,000 if those services had been contracted out.

Communications:

Mike mentioned that the new phone directory would be out by mid June. There were no charges for it again this year. Only members in good standing will be in the directory. There have been new articles added to the Bulletin. The new sections are: "Carolina Shores Happenings", submitted by Marlene Stewart, "News from the Town of Carolina Shores", submitted by Joyce Dunn, and on the last page of the Bulletin there are "Sales and Service Ads". Linda Rugg mentioned that starting in May the Bulletin is no longer a volunteer effort, but will be done in the office by both Linda and Merrilee.

General Advisory Committee:

Mike met with the chairperson of the Advisory Committee, Dan Mann. The Committee plans on meeting within the next month.

Nominating:

Linda reported that Nancy Harthausen has updated the manual on the procedures for voting. The committee will be meeting before the end of May. They will try to put together ideas about enticing people to be on the Board of Directors. It was suggested that the manual be in electronic form so the office staff can print copies of it for the Board members. The Board needs to review and approve the procedures.

Audit and Finance:

The CPA Firm of S. Preston Douglas reviewed the books on April 26. The financial statements and tax return should be finished in the next two weeks. Kerry sent the Finance Committee information that was passed out at the May 14 Community meeting to update them on the budget and what has taken place the first four months on collections. When the Financial Statement is ready, Kerry will ask the committee to meet and go over it so there is someone other than Kerry reviewing it. Copies will be made for the Board members.

Legal Affairs:

Kerry contacted Denise regarding a copy of the statutes that are applicable to Carolina Shores and to highlight those areas so there is no guessing. Peter Kirkby requested this. Denise thought she would have this ready sometime early next week. It would be kept in the office as a Board and community resource. Pete suggested that a reference to the statutes be mentioned in the June Bulletin.

Town of Carolina Shores:

Pete mentioned the Town budget is moving towards acceptance by the Town Board. First reading will be May 10. Per Pete's request the HOA/POA Advisory committee requested the Town initiate a Capital Reserve Study. Kerry mentioned that much of the data necessary for the Town to compile an asset inventory might already be available. Governments are required to compile such data under a regulation called GASB34, which has been in effect since the late 1990s. The regulation requires governments to compile a list of their fixed assets, establish a current value of those fixed assets and depreciate them. This information would be a starting point for a reserve study.

Pete reported that the Town is working with the golf course and a forester from NC State University on the removal of trees. The latest news is that the Town will require that the tops and sumps be removed to prevent any contamination from diseased trees.

Maintenance:

Brent reported that the engineer who inspected the clubhouse could shore up the floor for between $3,000 and $5,000. There is considerable uncertainty about what it would take to jack the floor for each individual beam. Kerry mentioned that projects over $5,000 require competitive bids. Brent is working with the engineer to get to a more specific amount for the repairs.

Old Business:

Mike mentioned the new cameras for the pool. Since the cameras were approved at the April meeting, Brent and Al will work on obtaining the cameras.

New Business:

Pete talked about the propane gas grill and suggested a second inexpensive grill be purchased instead of fixing the big grill. It's been difficult to find someone to fix it. Mike thought the big grill might just need a new regulator. Pete and Mike will try to fix the big grill before buying a new one.

Resident Comments: None

Announcements:

The next Board meeting will be June 13 at 9:30 a.m.
The annual picnic will be on July 1from 12 noon to 4 p.m.
The Board members should inform the other members and the office when they are going to be out of town.


Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 11:40 a.m.